The Lewis Group of Companies is one of the country’s biggest privately held real estate development companies to this day. The Lewis Group of Companies builds high-quality communities that benefit the neighborhoods around them.
The Lewis Group concentrates on creating residential subdivisions and mixed-use planned communities in California and Nevada—constructing and owning apartment buildings, retail spaces, office parks, and industrial structures.
Whether you’re looking to break into the real estate industry or grow your career, 2023 is the best time to look into Open Positions at the Lewis Group!
Why 2023 Is a Great Time to Apply for a Job in Real Estate at Lewis Group of Companies
When you join the Lewis Group of Companies, you become a part of our 60-year heritage of quality and our promote-from-within culture, which gives you a chance to further your career in real estate.
You will benefit from competitive pay, ongoing training, and excellent perks as a member of our winning team. Our commitment to serving others is the secret to a prosperous and fulfilling future. Lewis is a fantastic place to advance your career due of our culture of quality and unity.
Here are some of the careers you can explore at Lewis:
- Leasing and Sales
- Maintenance and Groundskeeping
- Project Development
- Accounting, Tax and Finance
- Operations and Management
- Marketing and Information Systems
Our employees receive competitive pay, a solid commission structure, annual bonuses, apartment discounts, and additional benefits to recognize their accomplishments. The best training you receive from day one of your jobs and forward will help you get ready for your Lewis voyage.
Lewis is dedicated to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace so that we can continue to preserve our market edge. We cherish each person’s unique talents and the variety of ideas that unite us to motivate and change the lives of others.
You will also gain new skills and take advantage of dynamic training—all while being a part of a dependable, expanding team, making a difference in your community, and truly feeling like family. That’s the Lewis culture.
What the Hiring Process Looks Like at the Lewis Group of Companies
You’ve applied for a career at Lewis – now what? Here are the next steps of our hiring process to get you best prepared for your interview!
Lewis will first check your experience for a potential match with our openings after you submit your resume or application. Depending on the career, you could be required to complete brief online tests in areas like sales, customer service, computer abilities, and fundamental reasoning.
What Does The Typical Recruitment Process Look Like?
We value your time, so we move as quickly as we can throughout the process. Once you apply online to a Lewis career and we receive your application, we will communicate with you by email, text and/or phone to inform you about potential next steps or decisions. Should you move on to an interview, it may be by remote video interview (Zoom or FaceTime), phone, or face-to-face. The first interview is typically with our Recruiting team, then you may move on to meet hiring managers. For tips to succeed in interviews, read some of the articles on our Lewis Blog.
Can I Apply To Multiple Locations/Positions?
Yes. The Lewis Corporate office is located in Upland, Ca. We also have regional offices in Sacramento, Las Vegas and Reno, Nevada. Lewis Apartment Community careers and locations are near each of those offices.
However, there are some things to consider before applying. Regarding location, ask yourself:
- Will this location work for me?
- What will my commute be?
- Am I willing to relocate?
When applying to a Lewis career, consider:
- Is this a job I can see myself enjoying?
- Do I have the skills and work experience that match this job?
- Could this job lead to a career path I am passionate about?
Thinking about these questions before applying will only increase your chances at Lewis.
Is The Interview Process The Same For Every Position?
Depending on the position, the sourcing, recruiting, and selection processes are similar. You may go through several steps, including but not limited to: phone or video interviews; online assessments, interviews with the hiring manager and/or panel interviews with applicable team-members.
These steps are important, not just for Lewis, but for you. We want to find great people with the right combination of talent and skills as quickly as we can, but we also want you to feel it’s a great match and the potential for a long-lasting career.
After You Apply
After submitting your resume or application, Lewis will review your experience for a potential match with our opportunities. Next steps may include the following:
- Assessments: Lewis uses online assessments to measure traits that generally do not emerge from interviewing. These user-friendly tools assess and measure against proven competencies to help define a successful match. Depending on the position, you may be asked to complete short online assessments in categories such as: sales, customer service, computer skills and basic reasoning.
- Interviews: At Lewis, we want to learn why you’re interested in us and what unique strengths you would bring to the team. Interviews will likely be on video, face-to-face, or over the phone. Interviews could be one-on-one or a panel interview with two or three people. We’ll ask questions about your related experience and accomplishments. This is your opportunity to learn about us, so come prepared with questions. We hope to learn more about you and your strengths and provide understanding of our unique culture and opportunities.
- Offer: Congratulations! If you land the job, you’ve proven you have a lot to offer. Next steps will be your offer letter packet, background/drug-screening process and the scheduling of your first day. The background/drug-screen process usually takes 4-6 days to complete. If you’re leaving a job, giving your employer a two-week notice is perfectly fine. If you need longer, we can discuss and agree to your first day. Your first day onboarding and training plan will be ready for you when you start. Welcome to Lewis!
Once you have accepted a Lewis career and completed your new-hire process, your Onboarding will begin. Learn all about the process here.
The Different Job Positions Available at Lewis Group of Companies
There are many careers and positions available at Lewis. Here are some examples of open positions:
- Accounting Clerk
- Community Administrator
- Portfolio Leasing Consultant
- Leasing Consultant
- Maintenance Supervisor
- Maintenance Technician
- Community Director
- Business Manager
- Night Service Manager
- Senior Tax Accountant, and many more.
Lewis Training & Benefits
In our training courses, you will meet experienced and dedicated instructors who are well-versed in their fields of expertise. You will be asked to share and build on your experiences with other Lewis employees and will be able to learn from others’ experiences and insights.
The training courses feature intensive hands-on sessions, expertly guided discussion forums, opportunities to practice your newly learned information and abilities, and exercises in which you will demonstrate your expertise in addition to lectures, e-learning, and class discussions.
Some of the training programs include:
- Dealing with Difficult Behavior
- DiSC Team Building Workshop
- Hire & Interview Workshop
- Situational Leadership
- Drywall repair
- First-Time Manager Training
- Superior Service Skills
- Introduction to Fair Housing
- Manager Essentials
- Management Skills Coaching
- Advanced electrical & troubleshooting
- Basic electrical and many more
In addition to competitive salaries and annual bonus potential, Lewis is committed to offering a variety of benefits to reward your hard work and dedication:
- PTO: Two weeks at Year one, Three weeks at Year two, Four weeks at Year five & beyond
- Unlimited accrual of PTO
- A variety of medical, dental, and vision plans
- 401k/Retirement savings plan with Lewis matching
- Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Apartment discounts for employees
- Employee discounts at local shopping centers
- Flu shot clinics
- Company paid and supplemental life insurance plans
- Multiple company events
- All Lewis University training courses free for everyone
- Wellness Programs & Health Fairs
- Employee Assistance Programs to support the well-being of our employees
- Free Tools provided for all Maintenance careers
Tips to Ace an Interview a Lewis Group
Applying for a new job, whether you’re entering a new field or simply changing employers, is always a little bit intimidating. Lewis Careers is here to help! Here are our top 7 tips to ace your interview:
- #1: “Have Dinner with Your Grandma”: What do grandmothers expect from us? They expect us to be polite. They expect us to sit up straight. They expect us to smile. Don’t slouch and don’t fidget. These simple steps are more important than we give them credit for during the interview process.
- #2: Dress Professionally: There’s no need to break the bank looking for a fancy outfit. Whether your interview is in-person or online, dressing professional is a great first impression to your recruiter.
- #3: Do Your Research: Researching our company websites beforehand shows a strong knowledge and passion for your potential job role. Knowing the basics of the job posting you applied for is also a great tip! In addition to company review sites, like Glassdoor.com, here are some sites to check out:
- #4: Play a Little Tennis: Now in the interview, much of the same suggestions apply. Talk about your skills and expand on your experiences with specific examples related to the job at Lewis. Avoid rambling on and on. Interviewing is like playing tennis. They hit the ball, and you hit the ball back. Keep the conversations flowing while staying short and concise.
- #5: Ask a Question: When the interview is coming to an end, you will likely get the question from the interviewer: “So do you have any questions?” This is a great chance to have a question! A simple, smart question can be as easy as asking, “What does your company want from the person that you hire for this position?” Listen to the interviewer’s answer, and then respond. Share something you’ve done that matches what the interviewer just told you they wanted.
- #6: Say Thank You: Once the interview has concluded, it’s a great idea to follow up a day or two after the interview with a nice, professional email. Sending a two or three sentence “thank you” email that says you enjoyed the interview and that you are looking forward to the possible opportunity to work for the Lewis Group of Companies goes a long way. That goes for a sales position, a groundskeeper, an accountant or even a vice president role. If you can present yourself as a professional, polished, and to the point candidate, then you are already ahead of the game.
- #7: Interviewing is Like Dating: It’s helpful to think of interviewing like a date—you typically know within the first 10 minutes how the rest of going to go. Remember to be courteous, professional, and to show off your unique qualities and personality.
How many individuals you will beat out if you can do all that in an interview will blow your mind. Lewis group is the best place to advance your career in real estate. Apply now to get started.
Interested in taking your career to the next level? Apply today to see all open positions at the Lewis Group of Companies.
David Draper is the Director of Talent Acquisition for the Lewis Group of Companies. David is proud to be a part of a successful, stable, and winning team dedicated to its projects, its people and its community. Follow David on Twitter @LewisRecruits.